South West School Sport provides opportunities for Athletes With Disabilities to participate in QSS state carnivals in Swimming, Cross Country and Track and Field. AWD's qualify for these events through school to district to regional trials. Due to the small number of AWD students in the region, students participate in regional trials in their age group with abled bodied athletes. Results are then compared to AWD state qualifying standards.
Schools in the South West are also able to participate in the various AWD carnivals and 'Come and Try' days organised by Darling Downs School Sport. The dates and venues of these events are advised to schools during term 1 each year.
Athletes With Disabilities wishing to participate in competitive school sport events organised by SWSS, DDSS and QSS must first obtain official classification from the relevent governing body. Classification forms are able to be accessed through the Queensland School Sport website at http://www.learningplace.com.au/deliver/content.asp?pid=50231
Schools, parents, carers with questions regarding classification, AWD sport etc are asked to contact the South West RSO, Phil Coleman, on 07 4622 9713.
Classification Process from 2011
- Classification forms completed http://www.learningplace.com.au/en/queenslandschoolsport
- Send to QSS Sport Office, PO Box 1172, Stafford City Post Shop, Stafford Q 4053 (Attn: Steven Murray).
- QSS to take note of paperwork on "Awaiting Classification' list and send to Classifying Body (PI/VI to Sporting Wheelies, HI to DSRQ, II to Lifestream).
- Classification decision made by classifying body and athlete informed.
- Classifying body to send a copy of decision to Queensland School Sport Office (as above) .
- QSS Classification Officer to update statewide database .