The resources (Files for Download) on this page were developed by a team of year two teachers from Karalee State School to support the explicit teaching of spoken complaint to year two students.
Click the title to view/download the document 1. Text Deconstruction- Year 2 Complaint- Spoken (70 K) - Type: MS Word file This text deconstruction provides a comprehensive outline of the textual resources associated with this genre. Working in year level teams, the teachers from Karalee State School deconstructed the texts appropriate for their year level using the English Years 1 to 10 Syllabus OPEN TRIAL document in conjunction with several other noted sources to guide their thinking. The information has been represented in a table format to include-
- the purpose of the text
- the cultural strand- making meaning in context
- the operational strand- using language systems
- the critical strand- evaluating and reconstructing meanings and
To emphasise the vital role that functional grammar plays in the explicit teaching of writing some functional grammar terms have been highlighted. Further explanations of these terms have been provided in the main menu under Functional Grammar- Charts, Placemats and Weblinks.
2. Annotated Sample (29 K) - Type: MS Word file This sample of writing has been included with annotations to assist teachers with their understanding of the textual resources.
3. Sample of a Complaint for Classroom Use (19 K) - Type: MS Word file This sample of writing has been provided for teachers to use as a model with their students for such applications as
- a modelled writing lesson
- a text deconstruction
- a stimulus chart
- a cloze activity and so on.