The resources (Files for Download) on this page were developed by a team of year two teachers from Karalee State School to support the explicit teaching of the narrative to year two students.
Click the title to view/download the document 1. Text Deconstruction- Year 2 Narrative (42 K) - Type: MS Word file This text deconstruction provides a comprehensive outline of the textual resources associated with this genre. Working in year level teams, the teachers from Karalee State School deconstructed the texts appropriate for their year level using the English Years 1 to 10 Syllabus OPEN TRIAL document in conjunction with several other noted sources to guide their thinking. The information has been represented in a table format to include-
- the purpose of the text
- the cultural strand- making meaning in context
- the operational strand- using language systems
- the critical strand- evaluating and reconstructing meanings and
To emphasise the vital role that functional grammar plays in the explicit teaching of writing some functional grammar terms have been highlighted. Further explanations of these terms have been provided in the main menu under Functional Grammar- Charts, Placemats and Weblinks.
2. Annotated Sample (29 K) - Type: MS Word file This sample of writing has been included with annotations to assist teachers with their understanding of the textual resources.
3. Sample of a Narrative for Classroom Use (22 K) - Type: MS Word file This sample of writing has been provided for teachers to use as a model with their students for such applications as
- a modelled writing lesson
- a text deconstruction
- a stimulus chart
- a cloze activity and so on.
5. Assessment- Record Keeping Device (105 K) - Type: MS Word file This record keeping device provides teachers with a tool to record every child's progress with the narrative criteria sheet.
6. Assessment- Year 2 Criteria Sheet (40 K) - Type: MS Word file This Criteria Sheet is a tool which provides information on student progress using the generic standards- emerging, developing and proficient. Although the standards will need to be upgraded to align with the A to E reporting guidelines mandated by Education Queensland as part of QCARF, the criteria provides a set of useful characteristics by which student performance can be appraised.
6. Assessment- Year 2 Narrative Criteria and Standards (50 K) - Type: MS Word file Assessment Criteria and Standards Sheet
This criteria and standards sheet was developed as part of a Gem project for the Ipswich Community of Schools cluster. This assessment tool was developed to inform teacher judgment about student achievement with a specific genre. Criteria are fundamental to appraising student work while the standards underlie judgments about the quality of performance. The three constructs selected will provide a common frame of reference for reporting on student achievement-
- Knowledge and Understanding of Texts in Context
- Text Construction- Process
- Effort- Level of Responsibility for Learning
Click the title to go to the web site · Writing Fun This interactive website uses text organisers to assist students with their writing. Students are able to select from a range of genres.