The resources (Files for Download) on this page were developed by a team of year one teachers from Karalee State School to support the explicit teaching of recount to year one students.
Click the title to view/download the document 1. Text Deconstruction- Year 1 Personal Recount (71 K) - Type: MS Word file This text deconstruction provides a comprehensive outline of the textual resources associated with this genre. Working in year level teams, the teachers from Karalee State School deconstructed the texts appropriate for their year level using the English Years 1 to 10 Syllabus OPEN TRIAL document in conjunction with several other noted sources to guide their thinking. The information has been represented in a table format to include-
- the purpose of the text
- the cultural strand- making meaning in context
- the operational strand- using language systems
- the critical strand- evaluating and reconstructing meanings and
To emphasise the vital role that functional grammar plays in the explicit teaching of writing some functional grammar terms have been highlighted. Further explanations of these terms have been provided in the main menu under Functional Grammar- Charts, Placemats and Weblinks.
2. Annotated Sample (32 K) - Type: MS Word file This sample of writing has been included with annotations to assist teachers with their understanding of the textual resources.
3. Personal Recount Sample for Classroom Use (20 K) - Type: MS Word file This sample of writing has been provided for teachers to use as a model with their students for such applications as
- a modelled writing lesson
- a text deconstruction
- a stimulus chart
- a cloze activity and so on
5. Assessment- Record Keeping Device (112 K) - Type: MS Word file This record keeping device provides teachers with a record keeping device to enter every child's progress on the personal recount checklist.
6. Assessment- Year 1 Personal Recount Checklist (47 K) - Type: MS Word file This checklist is a tool which provides valuable information on how a student is progressing with the writing task. It can be used as a self-assessment instrument by the teacher and student to review and reflect on the components. The language used in the checklist should be explicitly taught and modelled to students.
6. Assessment- Year 1 Personal Recount Criteria and Standards (53 K) - Type: MS Word file This criteria and standards sheet was developed as part of a Gem project for the Ipswich Community of Schools cluster. This assessment tool was developed to inform teacher judgment about student achievement with a specific genre. Criteria are fundamental to appraising student work while the standards underlie judgments about the quality of performance. The three constructs selected will provide a common frame of reference for reporting on student achievement-
- Knowledge and Understanding of Texts in Context
- Text Construction- Process
- Effort- Level of Responsibility for Learning
Reported judgments of student achievement should be defensible, comparable, and based on sound evidence and a shared understanding of standards.