A graphic organiser is a visual and graphic display that assists in organising facts or ideas and mapping out relationships within a learning task. They are also referred to as concept maps, story maps, knowledge maps, cognitive organisers or concept diagrams.
Graphic organisers are able to be used across a range of curriculum areas and have been widely researched on their effectiveness in enhancing the learning outcomes for all students.
Graphic organisers are an excellent resource to assist teachers in diversifying the curriculum in a Universal Design for Learning framework. They are flexible in their application and are suitable tools for individuals of various ages and abilities.
Graphic Organiser software is available for creating flowcharts and other types of concept mapping.
Software programs that offer graphic organisation features include:
- Inspiration (free trial - limited time)
- Kidspiration (free trial - limited time)
- Mind Manager Pro6 (free trial - limited time)
- SparkSpace (free trial - limited time)
- XMind (free version. Also is part of the My Study Bar free suite of tools)